This shul was founded in April 1899, incorporated June 2, 1899, when it was worshipping at 9-11 South High Street, and in July 1899 bought the former High Street Methodist Episcopal Church at High and Stiles Streets (224-230 S. High Street). It renovated the church as a synagogue, a worthy but rarely seen practice today. Here is a picture of the original building on High Street. The building later was used as a warehouse for Sun of Italy Food Products. It was torn down in 1992 and replaced with a parking lot. A community film festival was held at that location during the summer on Friday nights.
By 1903 the membership numbered “nearly 350 members and seatholders.” Rabbi Jeremia Friedlander was its rabbi in 1901. Rabbi Isaac Ben-Zion (also listed elsewhere as Israel B.) Isaacsohn (Isaacson) followed from 1905 until his death in 1931.
On August 2, 1936, the cornerstone was laid for a new synagogue at 2041 E. Baltimore Street, at Baltimore and Chester Streets. Rabbi Samuel Liebb presided with Rabbi Reuven Rivkin and S. Hurwitz. The planned cost was $30,000. The shul occupied a temporary residence at 125 Aisquith Street from 1935-1936. The dedication took place on 3/20/1937 with Rabbi Samuel Liebb, rabbi of Beth Hamedrosh Hagodol, presiding. The shul would remain at this location until about 1967.
The cemetery remained active during the years and in 2019, the few remaining cemetery board members, Polly and Maurice Jacobs, approached the JCA to take over management of the cemetery. The board met and unanimously approved the acquisition. We have been managing the cemetery ever since.