History of the Congregation:
- Organized originally on April 2, 1919.
- Rabbi Hillel Mihaly was installed as rabbi on June 9, 1929, at the shul on 1705-1707 N. Smallwood Street.
- A new synagogue was built at 3925 Dolfield Avenue in 1953, dedicated on June 7, 1959.
- This shul dissolved in 1969, but continued services in the home of Rabbi Ephraim Shapiro on Dolfield Avenue.
- In 1974, Tifereth Israel Anshe Sphard merged into the Liberty Jewish Center.
The Jewish Cemetery Association was approached by Liberty Jewish Center in 2009 to take over ownership and operation of Tfereth Israel Cemetery, located at 6700 Hamilton Avenue, Rosedale, MD 21237. The board unanimously approved the acquisition and has been managing the cemetery since.